Tuesday 24 February 2009

Twitter

Created a Twitter account the other week, as this site now seems to be 'where its at' on the Internet.Although no one I know uses it, i'd heard a lot of people going on about it, including Chris Moyles and Phillip Schofield waffling on about it on Radio 1.

Upon creation of my new account it gave me the option to invite the people from my MSN Messenger. I hate it when sites do this as out of the 80 or so people I have on there I only know about a dozen of them, and only speak regularly to maybe half that dozen.


I skipped inviting everyone I've ever spoken to once on msn and was presented with the next page. This is where it all started to fall down (as if it wasn't doing so before I reached this point!)I put that I was monkeying about on there for the first time, but I was following no one and no one was following me, so my comment seemed to be a bit redundant. How do I go about getting people to follow me or take an active interest on what im doing minute by minute. Maybe I should have invited all the randoms on my msn? I started following Chris Moyles and from looking at his shizzle, I tracked down Schofield and starting monitoring him too.


On a disturbing side note I don't like the fact that Schofield refers to himself as 'Schofe' and seems to update from his pc/phone/anything else that has an internet connection! And as he follows and replys to more people than I do, you only ever get his side of the conversation. It's very confusing and generally pointless.


I got bored after this so I went back to doing one of the other pointless activities i carry out daily to pass my time, and thought nothing else of twitter until the other day. I had an email saying Rod Hull (d.) was following me. This made me laugh out loud and after telling everyone within ear shot that 'The Hull' was following me I logged on to twitter.


I was somewhat disappointed to find that Rod hadn't taken an interest in my status updates from beyond the grave, and was in fact some kind of strange deviant who was writing posts about nurses and mooses. I followed him anyways, just cos I was still feeling like I was missing the point somehow with this website, then made some remark about what I was doing at the time and logged off again.


Since then some of the randoms I never speak to on msn seem to have jumped on the bandwagon as i've had mails saying that im now being followed by them and judging by their lack of commenting on what they are doing, they don't get it either. I've also started following Stephen Fry as every else in the world seems to be doing so, and enjoy reading regular updates about his whale watching escapades :s


I also have some random following me that keeps putting tinyurl links in his comments (I learnt long ago to NEVER click a tinyurl link!!) and some kid who seems desperate to get everyone to follow him and read his inane, banal updates minute by minute over the weekend, (think he has school during the week so his 'Twitting' is limited!)

I dunno, maybe I am missing the point of this website, but I feel the need to write something ridiculous in there like interfering with wombats rather than update my loyal followers with what I am doing at the time. are peoples lives really so empty that they need to monitor what everyone else is doing all the time? Am I really that arsed what somebody who I have no idea who they are is doing at any given moment? Im gonna persevere with it for a little longer before chucking it on the scrapheap with all the other rubbish thats been churned out of the Internet since it's conception :)

No comments:

Post a Comment